Back to basics for anyone who has never made a marble cake recipe
Its never been easier with one recipe for vanilla cake that gets mixed up by hand all in one bowl
Marbled Chocolate and Vanilla batter and a simple vanilla buttercream icing
This entire cake can be ready in just about 90 minutes!
For extreme ease today I am using my famous bakery style yellow cake
But for those who want it even easier go for the Box Cake Hack instead!
If you have a favorite vanilla cake recipe that isn’t mine (insert sad face) you can equally use that as well!
WATCH THE QUICK YOUTUBE VIDEO TO SEE HOW I MADE THIS MARBLE CAKE!
Notes for Success & Pan Sizes:
The recipe below makes 2 thick 8″ cake layers
Or 24 Cupcakes
For more easy layer cake recipes click the links below!
[TAG4] [TAG5] [TAG6]
For the Cake batter
For the Marble Swirl
- Cocoa Powder ¼ cup
- Vegetable Oil 2 Tablespoons (30ml)
- Hot Water 2 tablespoons (30ml)
For the Buttercream
- 1 Recipe your favorite Buttercream
- Cocoa Powder 2 Tablespoons
- Hot Water 3 Tablespoons (45ml)
- First prepare your cake pans with grease & parchment paper lining and preheat the oven to 350°F
- In a medium sized bowl combine the cocos powder with the oil and hot water and whisk smooth
- Prepare the cake recipe as per the instructions on that recipe post and then add a scant 1 cup of the vanilla batter to the cocoa mixture and whisk smooth
- Now divide the vanilla batter evenly amongst your prepared cake pans alternating with a small amount of the chocolate batter and then swirl the 2 batters together with a skewer or a small spatula
- Bake for 25-35 minutes depending on your pans size~ until a toothpick inserted comes out with moist crumbs
- Cool in the pans until you can safely touch them then flip the cake layers out onto a cooling rack to cool to cold
- Meanwhile prepare the buttercream recipe of your choice according to the instructions on that recipe post
- Then prepare the cocoa paste mixture by combining the cocoa with the hot water and whisk smooth
- Add about 1 cup of vanilla buttercream to the cocoa paste and whisk smooth to a chocolate buttercream
- Assemble to cake as per the video
Marble cake can be kept at room temperature for several days in a cool dry climate.
For longer storage refrigerate for up to 10 days wrapped loosely to prevent drying of the cut slices
Freeze the cake layers wrapped well for up to 1 month